In April 1941, a total of 70 competitors from the military took part in rigorous off-road motorcycle trials around the old Whitespots Leadmines.
During the Second World War, rough terrain motorcycle trials and training exercises took place around the disused leadmines near Conlig, Co. Down.
From November 1942 - December 1943, the British Army's General Service Corps No. 12 Primary Training Centre was at St. Patrick's Barracks, Ballymena, Co. Antrim.
During the Second World War, the Army Salvage Depot in Doagh, Co. Antrim operated from the site of the railway station that had lain unused since 1930.
During the Second World War, the Dunmore Park Barracks in North Belfast was a base for Home Defence Battalions of the Royal Ulster Rifles.
During the Second World War, Lough Neagh was a valuable asset for the military in Northern Ireland who used the waters for training purposes.
During the Second World War, Edenderry House in Banbridge, Co. Down housed British soldiers who trained and worked in the nearby countryside.
During the Second World War, Sunnylands Camp in Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim was the birthplace of the 1st U.S. Army Ranger Battalion in 1942.
On the Main Street of Ballycarry, Co. Antrim stands a memorial to the village's most famous son and British Army General Sir James Stuart Steele.